The North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport offers children's summer programs that blend maritime heritage, science, history, and fun. The museum is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday's through Saturdays. Admission is $2 ages 16-61, $1 for 62 and older, and free for children under 16.
Safe Fun in the Sun
1. Don't swim alone. Make sure you swim in pairs or groups.
2. Use sun block
3. Drink lots of water
4. Stay with your group
5. Review Rip Current safety
6. Fill in the holes you dig to protect turtles and night-walkers
7. Do not swim in inlet areas where currents are stronger and rip currents are more likely.
8. Read and obey all rules and posted signs.
9. Wear US Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices when around water
10. Know water safety rules.
11. Enter water feet first.